Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Stay Skinny Pumpkin Spice Muffins

I love this recipe. Perfect time of year for sweet spicy pumpkiny goodness...They make me happy and surprisingly NOT fatter. What more could a girl ask for? I have tweaked it a few times to my liking. If you don't have the healthier options at home, you can use your regular baking stuff and they probably taste EVEN BETTER :)

For you skinny bitches who care, per muff you are lookin at approx 110 calories, 2 grams of fat, 3 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, and only about 1 gram of sugar. Beat that Tim Horton! - (FYI their version is like 520 cals with a retarded amount of fat, YES it tastes better and is bigger, but if I'm gonna do that, just gimme a big piece of chocolate cake)

Stay Skinny Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 cups of Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp of Salt
3/4 tsp of Cinnamon
1/4 tsp of Cloves
1/8 tsp of Nutmeg
1 Egg (preferably organic Free range!)
1/2 Cup of packed Splenda BROWN Sugar
1/3 Cup of Unsweetened Applesauce (or Oil if you don't care)
1 tsp of Vanilla
3/4 cup of Low Fat Buttermilk **Who the eff has this in their Fridge?! I use Unsweetened Almond Milk with a few drops of Lemon juice (this sours the milk to mock the butta milk --you can just use Skim Milk too if you have that)
1 Cup of Pumpkin Puree (NOT the pie filling)
1/3 Cup of chopped Walnuts (you can add 1/3 cup of raisins too if you like but I don't!)

Directions:

1. Pre Heat Oven to 375 and grease up your muff pan
2. Mixy together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices
3. In a separate bowl beat up the egg and brown sugar. Mix in the rest of the wet ingredients above.
4. Pour the wet bowl stuff into the dry bowl stuff and stir until just combined (aka don't beat the shit out of it) Lastly add the nuts and raisins.
5. Bake for approx 18 minutes of until your fork comes out dry. Mid way through I sprinkle the tops with some cinnamon sugar mix to be cute like that.

Yummy!! -- The only annoying thing is the can of Puree only comes in one size - big. Lucky for you, you have Me who has nothing better to do but taste test food all day) So here are a few ideas with what to do with the rest of the can (other than compost)

-- I freeze another measured cup in a freezer baggie so next time I make them its easier.
-- The next day I put a scoop in my oatmeal (just season the pumpkin with some cinnamon and nutmeg first)
-- Add a scoop to your Almond Milk Smoothie or whatev kind you make...
-- I have added the rest to my Oatcake recipe. I prefer them without pumpkin but they still taste good.
-- Make Pumpkin chocolate chip Cookies!!!

Did you know....

Pumpkin is loaded with the antioxidant beta-carotene, which has been shown to help improve immune function and can reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer and heart disease. In addition, pumpkins also contain many vitamins and nutrients including: calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, selenium, niacin, folate, and vitamins A, C, and E. One cup of pumpkin contains only 50 calories and 3 grams of fiber.


I say who the hell cares - it just tastes good! buut now you can say you "learned" something today...Yes, I want the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment